Monday, September 6, 2010

Keep it simple

     Another princilple of self-repair is simplicity.
     Years ago, I had a friend who was a terrific shade-tree mecganic. He could replace a clitch,tune an engine a perform all kinds of mechanical tasks. So when his wife called one night to say the car wouldn't start, he was pretty sure he could take care of the problem himself.
    
     He worked for hours-checking spark pluges, tracing electrical connections and doping other stuff too technical for me to understand. Nothing helped.
   
     Finally, while trying to start the car one last time, he glanced at the gas gauge. The car was out of gas.
    
     The lesson is, try the simple and obvious things first. Check to see that cables are plugged in. Heck, check to see that the AC plug is securely in the socket. If the keyboard or the mouse won't work, check the connections.
    
     I know if sounds dirt simple-and it is-but I'll make you a bet that checking the simple thinks often will save you a huge amount of trouble. Interestingly enough, some of the worst offtenders when it comes to ignoring the obvious are experienced technicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment